Great Early 1900s RPPC real photo postcard of the Trenton Falls Hotel in Trenton Falls NY near Utica, below is the history of the area and the hotel which no longer stands, originally built in 1823 and demolished more than a 100 years later in 1945.
In 1805, John Sherman first viewed Trenton Falls during a visit from Connecticut. In 1806, Sherman moved to Trenton to be the pastor of the Reformed Christian Church. Sherman resigned as pastor in 1810 and established a teaching academy next to the low ground trail to Trenton Falls.
In 1808, with the help of money donated by Joseph Bonaparte, Napoleon’s brother, a path was blasted to Trenton Falls.
In 1822, John Sherman and partner Jarvis Phelps purchased 60 acres from the Holland Land Company (including Sherman Falls). Sherman bought out his partner in 1823, and built the Rural Resort, which opened to visitors that summer.
In 1825, Sherman expanded the Rural Resort to accommodate overnight guests. Trenton Falls became a “must see” destination between the East Coast and Niagara Falls.
In 1827, visitor Michael Moore severely injured his leg during a fall in the gorge; Sherman’s daughter Maria nursed Moore back to health. In 1831, Moore married Maria Sherman and assumed management of the resort.
In 1851, the Trenton Falls Hotel – known by the popular name Moore’s Hotel – was constructed, leading to a dramatic rise in tourism.
In 1863, United States Secretary of State William H. Seward hosted a meeting of diplomats at the Trenton Falls Hotel to emphasize the agricultural and industrial strength of the North, and to discourage support for the South during the Civil War.
In 1893, the Mohawk and Malone Railroad expanded, providing easier access to the Adirondack Mountains, the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario. The railroad’s expansion and an economic depression, depressed tourism.
In 1897, the Utica Electric Light & Power Company acquired Moore’s Hotel and all its property on both sides of the gorge. Construction of the dam and hydroelectric powerhouse began in 1899. Electricity was delivered to the City of Utica from Trenton Falls in 1901.
After the deaths of Michael and Maria Moore in 1888 and 1899, respectively, the Moore’s Hotel was renovated and reopened as the Trenton Hotel under new management in 1902.
Improvements to the Trenton Falls Hydroelectric facility were implemented from 1917 through 1922 with the addition of three hydroelectric turbines.
After a further decline in business, and the collapse of the Trenton Hotel’s roof , the entire structure was finally demolished in 1945.
marker letter on top edge, two dark spots in center but original to card
RPPC Real Photo Postcard of the Episcopal Church in ConstableVille NY 1907, church still stands and recently celebrated 200 year anniversary.
Grafton NY Observatory Rensselaer County Man on Scaffolding Hudson Valley RPPC Real Photo Postcard AZO Stamp